Year 4 2022 - 2023
Welcome to Year 4!
Miss Hardern, Mrs Higgins, Mrs Johnson.
Class Project Spring - Misty Mountain Sierra
Mighty mountains peak above the morning mists, imposing and eternal, rocky outcrops at their feet. Discover how these giants are formed, as a fold or a block, a dome or a plateau. Follow the water cycle’s course from peak to valley and meet the exceptional tribes of the hostile Himalayas. Then plan a mountain expedition from the BMC that is eco friendly and as safe as can be. But look out. What’s that by that tree? Its footprints are huge. Have we found the Yeti?
We will be covering these objectives throughout the unit.
• Plan writing by discussing the structure, vocab and grammar of similar writing
• Discuss and record ideas
• Compose and rehearse sentences orally
• Proof-read for spelling and punctuation errors
• Build an increasing range of sentence structures
• In narratives, create settings, characters and plot
• Assess the effectiveness of own and others’ writing
Our Autumn 2/Spring 1 text is Leon and the Place Between by Angela McAllister.
In this unit our writing outcome is to write Leon's secret diary about what is really happening in 'the place between', including conversations between Leon and the boy.
We will be masterring
- Extending the range of sentences with more than one clause. Using when, if, because,although.
- Recognise the difference between plural and possessive 's'
- Use small details to describe characters, time, mood and place.
- Use first person consistentlyand write in consistent past tense.
- Write in chronological order with an opening and closing paragraph.
Spring 2 - Escape from Pompeii by Christina Balit.
Our final outcome will be writing about the day Mount Vesuvius erupted, from the point of view of a child that was there.
We will be mastering
• Write a sequence of events to follow the structure of the model story
• Write an opening paragraph and further paragraphs for each stage
• Create dialogue between characters that shows their relationship with each other
• Use 3rd or 1st person consistently
• Use tenses appropriately
• Add historical detail to characters, settings and events.
- Please read daily with your child and record it on the Go Read app. We will also log any whole class or group reads.
Across the Autumn term, in Maths we will be covering:
Recognise place value of each digit of a 4 digit number
Order and compare numbers beyond 100
Round any number to the nearest 10, 100 and 1000
Addition and subtraction
Find 1000 more or less than a given number
Add and subtract numbers usinf the formal written method
Estimate and use inverse operations to check answers
Convert between different units of measure
Measure and calculate perimeters
During the Spring Term we will be covering
Multiplication and Division
Multiply and divide mentally
Recall timestables facts up to 12 x 12
Fractions greater than 1
Add and subtract fractions
Subtract from whole amounts
Recognise tenths and hundredths
Tenths/Hundredths as decimals/on a place value grid/on a number line
Divide 1 and 2 digits by 10
At the end of Y4, children are required to take the Multiplication Tables Check (MTC). A good way to prepare is start early and build a daily routine practising the times tables. With regular practise children will learn all the questions and gain confidence. Research suggests that practising for 10 to 15 minutes a day will provide optimal results.
This a link to current government guidance
We will be doing lots of practice in school, however, if you would like your child to have extra practice at home they will have their Times Tables Rockstars username and password readily available to use on - https://play.ttrockstars.com/
The Mathsframe timestables check is set up in a very similar way to the MTC, it is free to access and can be found by clicking on the link below.
Tattenhall wednesday 17th of May 2023.
Now Press Play
Homework will be set online on a Friday and will need to be completed by Tuesday.
Project homework and knowledge organisers will be available to view every term on this webpage,Pl
Files to Download
Year 4: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 4: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 4: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display
Year 4: Calendar items
There are no Calendar items to display